Monday, March 25, 2013

Decoupaged Mannequin


Hello my lovelies! This week I am so excited to introduce you to Mademoiselle Aimée.
I believe she had fallen on hard times after a celebrated career as a infamous famous burlesque star, and ended up on the fleamarket where she was sold off for $10.



 When she looked into the mirror her true image of style and beauty did not look back at her. She was once admired for her Joie De Vivre and she had a certain Je ne sais quoi that charmed everybody. Her look was now a far cry from what she epitomises, a romantic at heart with a carefree enjoyment for life! I brought her home with promises to make her beautiful again!

{So, I am known for deleting before pics. You will just have to imagine a gold spray painted torso and a bamboo kinda base}

For her make over, I gathered the following:
1. Primer and brushes
2. Vintage sewing patterns
3. Heritage multimedia sealer
4. Heritage glazing medium
5. Heritage matte varnish
6. Several images from the Graphics Fairy
7. Vintage music sheets - A5
8. Pair of scissors

Then on to the fun part!
I gave her torso a coat of watered down gesso to cover the ugh gold! While that was drying, I tore up scraps of vintage sewing patterns for layering. I worked in small sections, kept layering the paper until her entire torso was covered. I made sure that I secured the paper around and over all the edges. The sealer stops the ink from bleeding and also acts as an adhesive. Then she had to stand overnight to get completely dry!

Should have taken a pic at this stage....duh!

The next day I printed several images off  The Graphics Fairy. Like this beautiful rose.
  
Victorian Image Red Rose
I printed my images on the vintage sheet music and cut out the parts that I wanted. The images were then applied using the same method as the sewing pattern until I was happy with the design. I used the heads of the roses on her décolletage and cleavage and filled in other parts with leaves and left over sheet music scraps...it took on a life of its own! 

Then I thought it would be so fun to add images of beautiful french women. I went back  to The Graphics Fairy. While I lingered there, I found the lovely 'Pariesien' label and just had to use it. I also added a vintage numbered game piece as a fun addition!
To finish her off, I slathered her in glazing medium followed by matte varnish.



I think Mademoiselle Aimée is Trés Chic. Now her outer beauty reflects her inner beauty and self-confidence!

Then I turned my attention to the stand and base! Here I did some layering with CeCe Caldwell Omaha Ochre, Alaskan Tundra Green and Mesa Sunset. I distressed with a damp rag followed by a good waxing
and buffing!



She makes me smile everytime I lay eyes on her, If I think back to what she looked like on that dusty fleamarket all lonely and sad!

I hope your week started off with a bang and loads of inspiration for your next project!





You can often find me at these fabulous parties:







25 comments:

  1. Great transformation! I have a dress form, I have been planning to makeover like yours, just looking for the right paper for the job. It is a full sized one, so I will need a lot of whatever I use.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trisha, I had fun with this. There are so many possibilities and its hard to decide. You are lucky to have a full size dress form:)

    Good luck with your project and thanks for visiting!

    Xo
    Sumaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, you are so talented and what a transformation for Mademoiselle Aimee. She is absolutely gorgeous, you are to be applauded. Love it, what a great job, love projects like that. I love everything you take on.
    I am not a planner so things just kinda come out however they come out,probably good thing I don't have a blog and need to show my projects. I might have a general idea but that's it and it might take me awhile to finish a project like your lady as I might change my mind several times as to what I'm going to do.
    Happy Spring dear lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your very flattering comment. I appreciate it much. It was a lot of fun giving her a make over and I am happy that you love the transformation:)


      Happy Easter!

      ~Sumaya

      Delete
  4. You are so creative! Thanks for being so inspirational!

    Hugs!
    Shelley @ seeshellspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Shelley. Looking forward to many more visits!

      Hugs
      Sumaya

      Delete
  5. I love this! What a great transformation. Just spent some time looking through your blog (found you through your comment on my blog) and I'm so excited to follow you. So much great inspiration! Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Patti, I am looking forward to many more visits. Blessings too, Sumaya

      Delete
  6. she looks great! I want, no...NEED a dress form, but just can't seem to find one around me in my price range. :0( maybe when yard sale season starts... :0)
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbi, Thanks for stopping by. I hope you find a dress form that you love. The antique full body ones are way out of my price range too!

    Blessings always!
    Sumaya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you did with the mannequin! I have one that needs covering so badly and I keep changing my mind as to what I want! This colorful one is really lovely! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see yours. I know you will do something crazy creative with it with a hilarious post to go with it:)

      Hugs
      Sumaya

      Delete
  9. Oui, oui, mademoiselle Aimee! Vous êtes très belle encore! I love how you transformed her! I have a half mannequin that I weas going to get rid of. Not now! Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Decoupage love! This is just beautiful! ~di @ Musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment. I am glad you love Mademoiselle Aimee. I think she turned out pretty good too:)

      Blessings
      Sumaya

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous, Sumaya!

    Thanks for sharing at Give Me The Goods Monday!
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is very glam! I love the colours and the soft finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is oo-la-la! Love the vintage patterns Sumaya. I recently Mod Podged the torso of my dress forms using scraps of fabric. Fun, fun! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did have loads of fun with this project;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is so beauuutiful!
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm way behind looking at my emails and Parties and just saw this... it came out sooooo gorgeous! It would so make me smile every time I walked by her too, she is lovely! Beautiful job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pendra, same here. I have been so busy and have been slow to catch up.

      Everybody who sees her, falls in love with her...lol.

      Thanks so much for dropping in!:)

      Happy week ahead!


      Delete

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips