Monday, April 30, 2012

French inspired mail caddy - Paris letter graphic

Pairing up with hubby sweetness is fun!!!


It was a cold and wet weekend here in Cape Town. I had every intention of crawling under my blankie and watch some movies we hired, but as hubby was in the mood for doing some crafting of his own, I decided to finish this project!

Now I am going to play dumb and say that I cannot for the life of me find the before picture of this caddy! But let me just say, it was very plain Jane without the scrolly front panel and the hooks. It could have been some store display unit back in the day. I found her in an antique shop when I visited my daughter in Johannesburg over the Easter break. Prices were sky high in that store, so when I found 2 of these caddies for R200 ($25), I snapped it up knowing I can make something fab with it.
I used a few coats of French Chartreuse on this caddy, when it was dry which does not take that long when you use chalk paint, I used The Graphics Fairy Paris letter image from Here. I used the same transfer method as my bread basket and bread board from Here to transfer the image to the centre of the caddy. I then went over it with a sharpie paint pen!
I added the cute bird and crown with podge, also from The Graphics Fairy! The crown was a brown colour and I changed it up a bit by going over it with a gold paint pen!
And this is where hubby's part in this project comes in. He made the amazing scrolly front panel, added the cup hooks and the crystal knob!


I decided not to blur the image too much this time! I dry brushed some of the paint over the image and did'nt use any wood stain. I hand sanded the raised edges for that shabby chic distressed look, and used some spray on clear varnish to protect her new look!


I will show you the other caddy soon!

Linking up to the http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/ brag Monday!

e-voke...to create a -new!




2 comments:

  1. I love this too - love the graphics, and what a handy hubby you have !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sumaya.......I really like hte graphics. What a cute piece. GOOD JOB!!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips